Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT)
Complete Decongestive Therapy is an individualised program which incorporates a combination of treatments to reduce swelling of a Lymphoedema Limb.
The program can include:
- Measuring of the affected limb(s)– which allows us to
keep a record of how the process is going.
- Lymphatic Drainage Sequence– simple steps to open up your lymphatic system. It is taught to you in your initial consultation so you can continue this at home each day.
- Lymphatic Drainage Massage of the limb(s)– gentle stokes encouraging lymph to move towards the heart.
- Compression Bandaging– quite constrictive on the swollen limb. It is worn 24/7, changed every 2 to 4 days. Once all fluid is reduced the bandaging can stop. How many bandages will depend on how your body reacts to the compression and how much fluid there is to drain.
- Compression garments– maintain the size of your limb, they do not reduce the limb size. Compression garments are measured to fit your limb once excess fluid has been reduced with compression bandaging.
- Discussion of exercises and skin care– There are a variety of options you can do to help your lymphatic system. We will discuss what will best suit you and your lifestyle.
- Establishing a program to manage your Lymphoedema– again we discuss your lifestyle and work a program that will suit you. No two people are the same.
The number of treatments will depend on the severity of the swelling and how the limb responds to treatment.